Sunday, January 22, 2012

Attention all foodies!
 WOO-HOO! Annual Charlotte Restaurant Week  runs January 20-January 29, 2012 with over 100 of the best restaurants offering 3 courses (sometimes more!), for $30.00 per person! Tips and tax not included. Check it out and you must make reservations to participate!
rida January 20 - S
You've heard (over and over), that southern belle Paula Deen has been diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes. AND if you follow my personal fav food yankee, Anthony Bordain-he often admits on his new TV show, The Layover, to doubling up on Lipitor to control his cholesterol level.  Do ya think their health issues are food induced? If you know of them, you know what their top food choices are: butter+fatty meats. What's yours?


 Personally, I will eat anywhere Bordain has eaten. That doesn't mean I will eat all the things he eats! When I visit a new city worldwide, I google No Reservations to get the best places to dine. Don't think they have to be expensive: street food is included often. That's how I found out (years ago), about Mac's Speedshop on South Blvd, Charlotte. You might have been too timid to drive into a parking lot littered with motorcycles. But stick around to see the over 50 generation coming out to hop on those bikes. Nowadays, many weekday suited professionals own those expensive Harleys. Inside, there are visible tats, and a sprinkle of leather but don't let that dissuade you from eating some good, down home BBQ. Lunchtimes are packed solid. Food comes out fast and heaping. DO try the smokey and spicy collard greens and for starters tabasco fried pickles! Pulled pork and the brisket are my favs. Paula D. would approve and check out what
Tony said right here!


www.macspeedshop.com/

Another great choice for fast food without the greasy burgers and enough spice to take the chill out of winter is Thai Taste on East Boulevard, Charlotte. Anytime I can slurp on coconut milk-coated noodles flavored with lemon grass, I smile. True comfort food for any ethnic persuasion, the curry sauces are not typical of the Indian curries. See the DIY recipe. Start with dumplings or a savory soup and finish with noodles of any kind and you will leave full and happy. Don't be intimidated by selections that are hard to pronounce: "poh peah tod" or "gaeng panang", just order by number or point to what the person next to you is enjoying!







WALK THIS WAY!  I am not embarrassed to admit I watch American Idol. Ever since Steven big mouth Tyler joined the crew (and that jerk left), I tune in or tape it and am  amazed by the rap and sappy-ness of S.T.
Oh such sweet emotions come out of those huge lips, rhyming, miming and such great timing, the man has it all and just got engaged! Read his book, "Does the noise in my head bother you?" Check out the review from the Hollywood Reporter for more.
I hope you caught him with Joe Perry this past Friday on the Tonight show with Jay Leno. When it comes to Steven, "I don't want to miss a thing!" A new album is in the works due to be released later this year. The toxic twins are definitely back in the saddle.
And what about Steven's version of the National Anthem for the AFC Championship game Jan. 22? Did ya catch it! You know he's from Boston, dude!


smART: Hey, who knew! Mummies are in right now WOO-HOO! literally- at the Discovery Place Museum in uptown Charlotte. I wasn't sure this was a traveling exhibit I had to see. But I had seen and thoroughly enjoyed the Body Worlds exhibit in 2007 (did you?), so I gave this a look. WOW, it is more than I thought, very tastefully done and a limited engagement, so don't miss it. I would preface it with the the movie Mummies: Secrets of the Pharaohs at IMAX Dome Theatre at Discovery Place.



How 'bout sm' art from Charlotteans? Send me your photos of our queen city, the dwellers, eateries, beer joints, etc. and I will post them! (After review, of course!). 


FaFaFaFashion: I didn't want to spill the beans this early on but the Today show already did, so, WOO-HOO, mark your calendars ladies. Jason Wu, who designed Michelle Obama's stunning inaugural ball gown, is coming out with apparel and accessories, all under $60, at Target. The debut date is Feb. 5 through March 6, 2012 or until supplies last. Don't say I didn't warn you. They already predicted lines in NYC and other big cities. Send me a photo of you in a J.W. fashion and I will post it!

COMING TO A Theater Near Vous: 
Die laughing and why not I ask?


 With all the s__t on TV and the news, we need a break and we NEED IT NOW!  WOO-HOO! Ovens Auditorium is hosting some hilarious shows starting with Jim Gaffigan, Tyler Perry's show, The Have and the Have Nots and then one of Nu-Yawk's favorite sons, hold on now-Lewis Niles Black! Get your tickets now-these shows are hot hot hot.

   

Note: WOO-HOO's are events that come and go in the blink of an eye! In other words, they have an expiration date, so act fast. Click on the Woo-hoo's to open up links to details and info. 




Have you dined at this exquisite spot in Charlotte? Perfect for a Valentine's dinner date! 


No comments: